Join us as we welcome in the fall season at Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge.
Our annual Fall Festival is a day-long celebration with lots of activities for kids and adults, ample parking, and free hot dogs on the grill for lunch.
- Come for river seining and check out some of the critters that live in the Passaic River.
- Try your hand at target archery or our hoverball shooting gallery.
- Climb aboard the Refuge’s really big equipment and check the view.
- Build a bluebird nest box to take home.
- Join us for a guided nature walk on the Bockoven Trail.
- Check out the live refuge critters — turtles, snakes, frogs — and fish!
- Learn about our innovative Head-Start program for turtles and see the wood turtle hatchlings.
- Stop by and visit our partners — The Raptor Trust, NJ Audubon Society, Native Plant Society of NJ, North American Butterfly Association, the Passaic River Institute, Great Swamp Watershed Association, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s Customs Officers, NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife, and our urban partner — Groundwork Elizabeth.
- 2017 Photo Contest winners will be announced at 11:30 am.
This year we’re celebrating the Water! Start the day with our Wetlands Challenge — fill in the blanks and collect your prize. Then tour the WOW Express — our new Watershed on Wheels exhibit and learn all about the importance and value of watersheds — like our own Great Swamp.
Fall is a fabulous time to visit Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge. Join us to kick off the fall season.
18th Annual Fall Festival
Helen C. Fenske Visitor Center
32 Pleasant Plains Road, Harding Township, NJ
10:00 am to 3:30 pm, rain or shine